The increasing demand means the global steel strands market will look promising in the foreseeable future. Worth $3417.7 million in 2021, the market is likely to grow at a CAGR of 4.79%, reaching $5118.4 million by 2030.
Indus steel trialstrands are high-strength steel cables consisting of multiple wires twisted together. They are commonly used in construction to strengthen concrete structures and in transportation and other heavy-duty applications.
Let’s learn more about different types of industrial strands, their properties, and their applications.
Types of Industrial Steel Strands
Industrial steel strands, also called strand cables, come in different sizes. They are classified based on their diameter, number of wires, and tensile strength. Here are some of the most common types:
1. 1×7 Strands
These industrial strands consist of one central wire surrounded by six wires and twisted together. The 1×7 strand design offers high strength and rigidity, making it ideal for applications that require minimal elongation or stretch.
The single central wire provides stability and prevents the strands from unraveling or deforming. The six outer wires distribute the load evenly across the strand, improving its strength.
These strand cables are available in different diameters and tensile strengths. Common applications include pre-stressed concrete structures, suspension bridges, and post-tensioned concrete beams.
2. 1×19 Strands
As the name suggests, these 1X19 strands consist of one central wire surrounded by 18 wires twisted together. While the core wire provides stability and prevents unraveling or deforming, the 18 outer wires distribute the load evenly across the strand, improving its overall strength.
They are available in different diameters and tensile strengths. Also, they offer high tensile strength and minimal elongation or stretch. So, you can use these industrial strands in applications where stability and rigidity are essential, such as suspension bridges, cable-stayed bridges, and post-tensioned concrete structures.
3. 7×7 Strands
The 7×7 industrial strands consist of seven wires twisted together to form a single strand. This design offers high strength and flexibility, making it ideal for applications. You can use these strands in cable railings, guy wires, and suspension bridge cables.
The seven wires in the 7×7 strand provide a balanced load distribution, adding more strength to the wire. These strand cables are available in various diameters and tensile strengths. You can choose the one you want, depending on the specific application.
4. 7×19 Strands
These strand cables have seven strands, each made of nineteen wires twisted together. They offer high tensile strength and flexibility. You can use these strands for applications requiring high-strength support and minimal elongation or stretch.
You can use these strands for:
- Winch cables
- Aircraft cables
- Hoist ropes
The diameter and tensile strengths differ depending on the application. They are also compatible with various anchoring systems, making them easy to install and use.
What You Need to Know About Industrial Steel Strands
Different types of industrial steel strands have unique properties and applications. For example, 7X19 strands have high tensile strength and flexibility, while 1×7 strands lack flexibility. So, choose a strand best suited for your application.
Here’s what you should consider:
- Load Capacity: Different applications require different load capacities. Choose a stranded cable that best suits your load capacity needs.
- Corrosion Resistance: Corrosion resistance is also vital, as exposure to harsh environments can cause degradation and weaken the strands over time.
- Flexibility: Flexibility affects the strands’ ability to withstand bending and repetitive stress. Choose industrial strands that can offer higher flexibility, depending on your application.
- Fatigue Resistance: Fatigue failure is common in steel strands, especially when subjected to repetitive stress or bending loads over time. Strands with larger diameters and more wires tend to have better fatigue resistance. So, choose accordingly.
You also need to consider the proper installation and maintenance of industrial steel strands to ensure optimal performance and safety.
- Keep the manufacturer’s instructions in mind when carrying out the installation.
- Inspect the strand cables regularly to detect any signs of damage or wear.
- Replace damaged or worn strands immediately.
Choosing an Industrial Strands Supplier
If you want the best steel strands, you need to find a reputed and reliable industrial strands supplier. Finding one is going to take some time and effort.
Factors to consider when choosing a supplier:
- Quality of Products: The supplier should offer high-quality industrial steel strands that meet the required standards and specifications. You can look up the required ASME and OSHA standards when buying.
- Experience and Expertise: A supplier with years of experience in the industry and a team of experts can offer valuable insights and support.
- Customer Service and Support: The industrial strands supplier should provide excellent customer service and support. This includes technical assistance and after-sales support. They should also have a reliable and responsive customer service team to address your concerns or issues.
- Pricing: Compare the prices and terms offered by different suppliers. While you shouldn’t compromise the quality, try to find an industrial strands supplier who offers reasonable pricing.
As you can see, industrial steel strands are critical in supporting and reinforcing concrete structures. But you will need to choose a suitable strand, making it necessary for you to learn about different types of industrial steel strands. Hopefully, the types of industrial strands and their benefits will help you make an informed decision.
Do you need high-quality steel strands? We are a leading industrial strands supplier. Call us today to know how we can help!